Cleanliness and hygiene are health and care issues with people who live with you. It is the same with cats, to keep your pet healthy you need to keep it clean, in an equally clean and pleasant environment.
But how clean is a cat? This question many people ask themselves, because the cat is a very independent and naturally clean animal, so there is often a doubt about when we should interfere in the cat’s hygiene. Are you supposed to bathe a cat? How should you do this without the animal being stressed? Should you do regular bathing?
Hygiene and well-being involve several aspects of your cat’s routine, from her body hygiene, cleaning the environment that surrounds her, to her feeding. Frequently brushing the cat’s fur is also part of this care, considering that the more often we brush it, the less she will swallow it when licking and cleaning herself and the chances of problems such as vomiting furball, decrease.
The cutting of cats’ nails is also an important topic for their hygiene. Usually cats tend to scratch and sharpen their nails somewhere in your home, be it your scratcher or your sofa. So, it is important that you also cut your kitten’s nails manually.
But the most asked question for cat parents for sure is, can you bathe the cat?
The answer is yes! There is no contraindication regarding the feline bathe. What we have to do is not to overdo the number of baths. The cat does not need as much bathing as the dog, for example. So, there is no pattern or a specific number of times you can bathe your kitten. It all depends on the need, the occasion and the state in which your pet is.
The environment in which you live with your cat also influences the number of baths. If it is a place with a lot of open areas and contacts with nature, your cat is likely to need more baths than normal. Bathing and cleaning your cat will also help to eliminate fleas and ticks in cases your cat has them, by using special flea shampoos.
The type of cat shampoo makes all the difference. It is important to always check if the shampoo is suitable for animals and that it contains the most natural ingredients or being at least non-aggressive to your cat’s skin.
Another important point to be considered is to pick the shampoo according to specific purposes, such as short or long hair and certain skin types. Try to avoid using human shampoo, as they do not consider the cat’s sensitive skin.
What is the best way to bath a cat?
Here we have some tips for bathe time:
- Use lukewarm water, avoiding any uncomfortable experience. Moreover, if the water is too hot, it might dry out your cat’s skin.
- Pay attention to the ears and eyes, so that water does not get in and does not hurt your kitten and ask someone for help to make the rest of the bathe easier. Also, try to clean your cat’s ears and eyes more regularly.
- Cutting your cat’s nails beforehand can prevent some unexpected scratches.
- Use an appropriate shampoo for your kitten, so that it is very clean and has no allergic reaction.
- After removing the shampoo and washing your cat well (make sure to rinse the shampoo carefully), wrap him in a towel so that he feels quite protected and safe.
- To dry your cat, use the dryer not too hot and avoid getting too close to your kitten. Some are very afraid of the blow dryer, so you can just towel dry, comb and let it dry naturally, especially in summertime.
With all these tips and information about the best way to bathe a cat, you can make this experience less traumatic and more pleasurable for you and your kitten, since most cat’s hate water and hairdryers.
Tell us your experience when bathing your kitten, did you already try those tips?